Monday, August 22, 2011

A Low Key Weekend (FINALLY) and Half Marathon Plan!

Three things I needed on Sunday.

DSC03787

John’s blackberry, used to navigate to the running trail because our Garmin was dead. My wrist Garmin, which I seriously don’t know how I ever ran without. And a cup of perfect hot chocolate made by our new Keurig. Really. John’s been obsessed with the Keurig since we got it. I think it’s nice, but I definitely don’t have a problem with regular coffee. I might be sold now. This cup was perfection.

So my first and last free weekend in months/for months is over. It was less exciting than I thought it would be. We had company Friday night and ended up sleeping in and just milling about most of the day Saturday.

We finally dragged our butts out of the house to get our fortunes told (nothing exciting) and find a place that will engrave Tungsten (mission success), and capped the night off with the most unhealthy grocery run ever in the history of the world. I thought about taking a picture of all the stuff we got for the blog but seriously, it was embarrassing. What’s even more embarrassing is that fact that we ate almost all of it by 10:00 pm.

Obviously Bagel Bites, red velvet cake, brownies and ice cream, Jones Soda, and chicken poppers are the perfect pre-run dinner. I got up early Sunday to run seven miles with some friends because John’s knee is messed up and he’s taking it easy until our half marathon. It was Amber and Jessica’s first seven mile run and they didn’t quite finish, so I ended up only logging six. I was a little disappointed but I came home completely wiped out and even took a nap, which I rarely do. Running is so funny. How can I stay out until two in the morning the same day as my ten mile run but come home and crash after six? Also, my knee was killing me and calf was really tight after six but I hardly had any issues after the ten. Oh well…

Okay. Now for what I really want to talk about. Half marathon game plan. I don’t really have one. I know I should shoot for negative splits and try not to come out of the gate too quickly but I’ve only manage consistent negative splits twice so I’m not going to try to revamp how I run on race day. I’ve heard that for races, you should set 3 goals; one completely obtainable, one moderately obtainable, and one that you’ll probably only reach if everything goes perfectly and God decides to put wings on your feet. Overall, I would LOVE to finish 2 hours and 10 minutes. More realistically I’m shooting for 2 hours and 20 minutes. Definitely not over 2 hours and 30 minutes. So there it is.

0 comments:

Post a Comment